Charlotte Collins Reed
Christ Church Episcopal
March 3, 2024
3 Lent B
In seminary, I took a class entitled
“Anglican Church History.” I enjoy
history and took a lot of history classes in college, so I was looking forward
to the course. In the first nano-second of
the class, we figured out that our teacher, a graduate student from the
University of Chicago, had never taught a class before. Ever. But
we were kindhearted souls and tried to be patient with convoluted lectures and
confusing assignments. The last straw
came when we were given a take home open-book test. I took the test home, found and wrote all the
answers, turned the test in, and was quite puzzled to receive the test back and
have one of my answers marked as incorrect.
How can you get an answer wrong on a take home open-book test? I was just as competitive as a student as I
am as a parish priest, even if in a slightly different way, so I was not
amused. At the end of class, I went up
to the teacher and inquired about my answer, which he insisted was wrong. So, I politely got the textbook out showed
him where I got my answer. I got nowhere. My patience was running thin at this
point. I left the room before I said
something I would regret and headed home confused and furious.
I wonder if the people in the temple
felt that same combination of confusion, frustration and fury when Jesus comes
barging in with his whip of cords this morning.
The people in the temple were faithful people, trying hard to live
according to God’s commandments. Cattle,
sheep, and doves were sold at the temple to help weary pilgrims procure the
unblemished animals God required for the temple sacrifices. Worshipers had walked for miles to get to
Jerusalem for Passover. They couldn’t
bring cattle, sheep and doves with them.
Unless they could buy the animals at the temple, they could not make the
sacrifices they had traveled so far to make.
The money changers were required to convert the Roman currency into
temple currency, just like we convert currency when we travel to another
country. There is always a fee, and in
the case of the temple, there were sales taxes to be paid to the Romans. Everyone at the temple was trying to be
faithful to the laws given by God in the book of Leviticus and the laws of the
state as dictated by the Romans.
So, what is Jesus so upset about this
morning? Which of the commandments are
the people breaking? Fortunately, we
hear those commandments this morning in the reading from Exodus. The people in the temple buying and selling
animals for the sacrifice do not seem to be dishonoring their father or mother,
murdering, committing adultery, stealing, bearing false witness, or coveting. So, they are good on the last six
commandments. The problem must be in the
first four commandments. But the people
don’t appear to have put another god before God, made an idol, made wrongful
use of God’s name, or violated the Sabbath.
Quite frankly, they are doing all in their power to keep the law and
honor God with the required sacrifices.
So what is Jesus’ problem?
The
temple was thought to be the place where humans encountered God in a unique
way, the place where the divine and the human meet. The claim was not that the temple was the
only place where the people encountered God.
The Hebrew people had experienced God in their Exodus from Egypt, during
their time in the wilderness, in their exile in Babylon far from the promised
land, and on and on. The claim was also
not that the Temple was bad. There are
many examples in the New Testament, particularly in the book of Acts, of
followers of Jesus worshipping in the Temple.
But the experience of God in the temple was uniquely holy. However, in John’s gospel, Jesus is the place
where the human and the divine meet.
John’s gospel begins “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was
with God and the Word was God….and the Word became flesh and lived among us.” In that sense, Jesus is the new temple. When Jesus is asked “What sign can you show
us for doing this,” Jesus replies “Destroy this temple and in three days I will
raise it up.” The resurrection will
allow people in all times and places to experience the meeting of the human and
the divine in Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment