Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Bizarre and Outrageous

Charlotte Collins Reed
Christ Church Episcopal

March 13, 2022

2 Lent C

          A number of years ago, well before Don and I moved to Hudson, I was out and about one day and I stopped for gas at a Speedway station.  I had on my usual attire for a workday which included a black shirt, a collar, and my seminary cross.  You know the outfit.  After I pumped my gas, I went inside to get a Diet Coke, my beverage of choice back in the day.  When I went up to the counter to pay for my soda, the clerk gave me a very odd look, leaned over the counter and said with awe in her voice “Are you a witch?”  Nothing in my seminary education prepared me for that question.  I do not think fast enough to come up a good reply, but I knew enough to know that if she wondered if I was a witch, explaining that I am a priest in 10 seconds or less was not going to help matters.  Her knowledge of my world, what I do and what I believe was as limited as mine was of hers.  There was a line behind me so I just politely said “no,” paid for my drink and went on my way.

          Who I am and what I do and believe was as bizarre to the cashier in Speedway as whatever God and Abram are up to this morning is to me.  God and Abram have been going round and round about Abram’s descendants since Genesis 12 when God starts talking about Abram’s offspring.  At that point, Abram was 75 years old.  Now Abram and Sarah have traveled through Canaan and the Negeb, then gone down to Egypt to avoid a famine, back to the Negeb, to Bethel, and back to Canaan, where God again promises Abram offspring that number the dust of the earth.  Then there was some war and fighting over the land before we hear God say to Abram in a vision “Do not be afraid, Abram.” And Abram reminds God that he continues childless.  Again God promises Abram descendants that number the stars in the sky.  God’s promise looks a little unreliable at this point.  Abram is pushing 100 and Sarah is not far behind.  Who could blame Abram for being a little skeptical about offspring at his age?  Yet Abram believes and it is reckoned to him as righteousness. 

          Then we hear God promise that God will give Abram the land to possess.  When Abram asks God how he is to know that he will possess the land, land that other people clearly want both in the book of Genesis and throughout history, the story gets really bizarre.   The instructions are very specific: Take a 3 year old heifer, a three year old female goat, a three year old ram, a turtledove and a young pigeon.  All the animals except the birds are cut in half and laid out in a particular way.  After dark, while Abram was in a deep sleep, a smoking fire pot and a flaming torch pass between the pieces and we are told that God made a covenant with Abram to give him the land from the river of Egypt to the Euphrates.

          What are we to make of this ritual and what on earth could dead animals and a smoking pot say to us in the 21st century?

          Actually, this story is a powerful account of God meeting Abram where he is, in the midst of his doubt, and using an ancient form of sealing a covenant. * The ritual described is called “cutting a covenant.”  The two parties involved promise to keep the covenant they make lest their own bodies be cut in two like the animals through whose blood they walk.  The story that sounds so strange to our ears showed the ancient Hebrews the power of God’s promise to Abram.  How did the descendants of Abram know that the promised land belonged to them?  God had cut a covenant with Abram that promised God’s life if God failed to keep the covenant.  God met Abram where he was, in the midst of his doubt, and used ancient human convention to seal a promise. 

          If there is any point of similarity between Abram’s situation and that of Jesus this morning, perhaps the similarity is that Jesus looks no more chosen this morning than Abram felt at the beginning of the reading from Genesis.  We heard God claim Jesus as God’s own beloved Son at Jesus’ baptism.  Now, Herod wants to kill Jesus.  Jesus is heading to Jerusalem because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside the city.  Jesus wants to gather the people together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but the people are not willing.  Jesus is headed to Jerusalem to die a painful and public death.  Not much about that sounds chosen or beloved to me. 

God met Abram where he was with a ritual that sealed an outrageous promise.  Likewise, God meets humankind where we are in the person of Jesus.  When times are hard, when God’s promises seem farfetched or even outrageous, when death and evil seem to be winning, how do we know, really know, that we belong to God and that God will keep God’s promises?  We know because God was willing to meet us where we are by becoming a human to live among us, show us what love looks like, and lay down God’s life for us in the person of Jesus, turning death into life and hatred into love. 

          Because God has been outrageously and bizarrely clear about God’s deep love for humankind throughout scripture and in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, the faith expressed in the psalm this morning makes sense.  In the midst of a pandemic, war, personal challenges, the challenges our city faces, and any other situation in which we find ourselves, we can say “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom then shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom then shall I be afraid.”  We know that God’s promise of life and love is solid because the story of God and God’s people has shown that to us over and over again, meeting us where we are, and giving God’s life for the life of the world.  Perhaps bizarre and outrageous are required to convince our hearts of the depth of God’s love.

                                                                             Amen.

 

          *www.workingpreacher.org March 13 2022 Justin Michael Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment