Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Change the World

Charlotte Collins Reed
Christ Church Episcopal
October 31, 2021

26 Proper B 

          Truth in preaching requires that I tell you that the following is a story I have told before.  But I believe it bears repeating.

          In 2019, I took the course Learning from London through Bexley Seabury Seminary where I served on the board at the time.  The course met in London and looked at a variety of churches, large and small, and the many different ways they found to be the church in their varied contexts.  This course was immensely helpful to me as we navigated how to be the church during a global pandemic. 

          On the Sunday during the course, I was assigned to worship at St. James, Piccadilly in London.  I was delighted by my assignment as I had been to St. James on a previous trip and this is the church where I would worship if I lived in London.  The church was quite full on this June Sunday, which was the first surprise.  The music was good and the sermon was quite fine.  But the big surprise came after the offertory when the priest invited the entire congregation to gather with her around the altar.  Clearly this was before Covid and social distancing.  About 200 people and a couple of dogs gathered around the altar in a completely disorganized mass of people.  Once the bread and wine had been blessed, I expected to be invited back to our seats to be called forward to receive communion.  But no.  Communion was going to be distributed to the mass of people gathered at the altar.  This looked to me like a recipe for chaos at best.  How was communion going to be distributed in a timely and efficient manner to a great crowd of people?  There were no ushers in sight to help and no movement toward forming a line.  And yet, the bread and the wine were distributed, everyone was fed, and the process was quite smooth.  Why?  Because each person was only concerned that everyone else be fed.  No one was concerned that they receive. They knew there was enough and their turn would come.  Every person’s primary concern was everyone else.

          I think about that experience when I hear the scribe ask Jesus “Which commandment is first of all?”  Jesus’ reply is “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”  Jesus is quoting the Shema, the ancient Jewish prayer that comes from the book of Deuteronomy.   Perhaps because Jesus was simply asked about the greatest commandment, he does not include the rest of the words from Deuteronomy which are “Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise. Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblem on your forehead, and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”  In other words, make these words a part of the very fabric of your being.

          In the Diocese of Ohio, one of our taglines is Love God. Love your neighbor. Change the world.  The first two of those imperatives come directly from Jesus mouth this morning.  But change the world?  Seriously?  I believe that is a rather tall order whether for us as individuals or for us as a church.  How are we supposed to change the world?

          The vestry wrestled with a similar passage at our meeting Tuesday night.  Our Bible study passage was Philippians 4:8 “Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”  This passage, too, is about how we treat our neighbor.  Our question was “how do we model these words in our church and in our community?”  Jesus and Paul are both telling us that how we live and treat each other matters.  The vestry talked about the negativity in our Hudson community and how hard and yet necessary it is to keep ourselves from getting sucked into that negativity.  Jesus does not call us to agree with everyone.  Jesus calls us to love God and love our neighbor as ourselves, to live in ways that are true, honorable, just, and pure.

          The reading from Ruth, in which Ruth pledges to stay with her mother-in-law Naomi, is an example of this kind of love.  Her words are beautiful “Where you go, I will go; Where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die, I will die—there will I be buried.”  Ruth’s love and devotion to Naomi actually does change the world.  By following Naomi, Ruth meets Boaz.  Ruth and Boaz have a son Obed.   Obed is the ancestor of Jesus. 

          Our Interfaith Election Day Prayer Vigil is one way we at Christ Church along with our brothers and sisters at Temple Beth Shalom and First Congregational Church are trying to live as people who love our neighbors as ourselves even when we disagree.  Our prayers at the gazebo on Tuesday are not for any particular result to the election, but for the peace and unity of our community so that we as the community of Hudson better model loving our neighbors as ourselves.  When we each work to love our neighbors, even those with whom we disagree, we may not change the world, but we will change our community.

          Love God.  Love your neighbor.  Change the world.  Perhaps “Change the world” is not a third imperative, but is what happens when we love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength and love our neighbors as ourselves.  Perhaps “Change the world” is what happens when we all put the needs of others ahead of our own needs, wants, and desires.  Perhaps “Change the world” is what happens when we write the words of Jesus on our hearts, teach them to our children, and make them a part of the fabric of our being.  Perhaps the only way to change the world is to start with ourselves.

                                                                   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment